top of page

Crystal Palace Vs Newcastle

Updated: Aug 4, 2023

Hello everyone,

Hope you're well.

On Saturday 22nd February 2020 I attended the Crystal Palace vs Newcastle game at Selhurst Park with my Mum and my Nan.

The game started at 3pm and it was a very windy day. Palace started the game very strongly as in the 7th minute Zaha came every close to getting an opening goal for us, but the Newcastle defender was able to slide in to deny him. This was immediately followed by Palace coming very close again but this time via a corner which was whipped into the path of Gary Cahill who was able to force a save from the Newcastle goalkeeper. Palace looked very comfortable in positioning and were playing the ball really nicely which was good to see. James McCarthy got an early yellow card after a pointless tackle on a Newcastle player. In the 15th minute Ayew was able to turn away from two defenders before taking a shot on the edge of the box, his shot was weak making it easy for the keeper to save.

Palace were able to get themselves another corner in the 16th minute, this time it fell to Scott Dan who was able to get a strong header towards the goal which forced another strong save from the Newcastle goalkeeper, it definately felt as though Dubravka was keeping Newcastle in the game. Palace were looking very dangerous from set pieces in the game- will this continue? Newcastle had their first opportunity to get themselves a goal in the 18th minute after Joel Linton was able to get through our midfield before firing a shot at the top corner but thankfully Guaita was able to save us. Then Palace received a free kick which Van Aanholt took, he was able to swing the ball into the path of Benteke who was unmarked but was unable to send the ball towards the goal.

We were definitely the stronger team at this point. In the 30th minute Joel Ward was able to get the ball into the area for Ayew but his shot was straight at the Newcastle goalkeeper. This was followed by another opportunity for Jordan Ayew but again it was straight at the goalkeeper!

In the 44th minute Palace were awarded another free kick on the edge of the area. Due to Milivojevic being out ill Patrick Van Aanholt was set piece duties. He was standing over the free kick along with McCarthur but it was obvious who was taking it. As PVA stepped towards the ball the whole of Selhurst park waited in anticipation and sure enough the ball entered the back of the net. It was a beautiful free kick straight into the top corner passed the Newcastle goal keeper. Selhurst Park erupted in celebration after what we had just witnessed. Because it was just before half time my Mum was being served her cup of tea at this exact moment so she missed the goal. This was the final piece of action before half time and what a way to end half time with high spirits.

In the second half Palace were hoping to keep hold of their lead as they were shooting towards our Whitehorse Lane stand. The half started with Palace being the stronger team similarly to how the first half ended. We had two early opportunities coming from Ayew and Cahill but neither were able to score their chances. It was crazy the amount of chances we had to up the score line but none of them would go in. Every time Newcastle were winning the ball their chance was wasted and returned back to Palace. Unlike normal Palace seemed as though they wanted to carry on pushing the game rather than just sitting back, this was nice to see and hopefully it continues for the rest of the season. Guaita was called to action in the 67th minute after having a very calm game but again he was able to deal with the shot and get Palace back on the counter attack. In the 70th minute ex Palace player Dwight Gayle came on for Newcastle receiving a warm welcome back to Selhurst Park.

It wasn't until the 86th minute that Roy Hodgson made the decision to make a change bringing on Cenk Tosun for Benteke and Riedewald on for Kouyate who seemed to have picked up a slight injury- hopefully this wasn't bad an he is not out for long. In the late stages of the game it was very nerve wracking waiting for the final whistle to blow. Newcastle were trying their hardest to get themselves an equaliser but Palace were doing extremely well to control them. In the 95th minute Tosun did very well to come back to defend before making a brilliant side tackle to win back possession, he was then able to play it into Ayew who saw a tremendous run from Zaha, before threading the ball into his path. Zaha then did very well to control the ball, he was basically one on one with the keeper but a Newcastle defender decided to bring him down before he could take his shot. Referee Peter Bankes went straight for his pocket revealing a straight red to Lazaro leaving Newcastle with 10 men for the final minute. You could see that Zaha was annoyed along with everyone else in the stadium because we would of much rather had a goal than them be down to 10 men.

This was the final piece of action and the game ended 1-0 to Palace, this was a very key 3 points for us. After the match we stayed behind and I managed to see; Benteke, Dann, Kouyate, McCarthur, Riedewald and Pierrick. I also met another reader of my blog, it was really nice to meet you and hopefully you will continue to read and enjoy my blog.

Match stats:

• Palace had a total of 44.2% possession, Newcastle United had 55.8%

• Palace had a total of 18 shots with 9 on target.

• Newcastle United had 8 shots with 2 on target.

Thank you for reading

Ellie X

Featured Posts

Recent Posts


Search By Tags

Follow Us

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page